Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Scout's Diary 10

February 23, 1938
  I thought Atticus was too old to do anything because Jem said that he never play foot ball tackle with him like other fathers did. Atticus is totally different with our schoolmates’ fathers. He sits in the living room and reads; he doesn’t drink, play poker, smoke or even do other things. It doesn’t bother me because it just means he’s special. It was until today that I finally know my father isn’t too old to do anything. He is just humble and never talks about it.
  There was a mad dog on our street and it was coming towards us. Everything happened so fast I don’t think I even had time to think about being scared because Atticus killed the mad dog in one shot even though he was far away. Mr. Tate said that Atticus was the best shooter in town and that it was his gift. Jem and I no longer think that Atticus has no talent and is too old to do anything. I respect my father more now, and so does Jem. I want to tell everyone that my father is the most special man in the town and that no one can look down on him. Jem, however, told me to keep it a secret without even explaining it to me. What does “Atticus is a gentlemen, just like me” mean? I haven’t the slightest idea. I thought to myself that maybe he is just trying copying Atticus’ behavior.

1 comment: