Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Scout's Diary 9

Nov 21, 1937

  Atticus woke me up at 1A.M. in the morning. At first, I thought that it was already morning but then realized that something had happened on our street. Atticus told me that Miss Maudie’s house was on fire and he wanted Jam and I to go stand in front of the Radley’s house. The fire looked like an evil monster destroying Miss Maudie’s house. Jem stared at the house watching the men moving furniture out of Miss Maudie’s house. I was worried and scared. Jem put his arm around me and told me to be clam. We suddenly noticed that Mr. Avery was stuck on the second floor. He wanted to climb out from the window but it wasn’t easy. He yelled and fell down on Miss Maudie’s shrubbery. I think that he was just too tired and nervous making him slip. The fire reached the second floor as everyone got out from Miss Maudie’s house. Finally, the fire truck arrived and stopped the fire but it was almost morning by then. Miss Maudie stared at her yard going up in smoke. I knew she was sad about losing her flowers.
  Atticus thought that we didn’t keep our promise to stay put but Jem and I didn’t move a single step. Atticus asked me about the blanket on my shoulder. The thing was I didn’t even know that there was a blanket on my shoulder until he asked me about it. One thing’s for sure, I wasn’t cold that night. Jem told Atticus that Mr. Arthur Radley didn’t hurt us and all that’s happened before. I know that Atticus didn’t care about what Jem said because he already knows that Mr. Arthur Radley was a good man. Atticus said that every single person in Maycomb came out but in different ways last night and he said that I should give my thanks to Mr. Arthur Radley the next time I saw him. I am still a little bit scared of Mr. Arthur Radley but I know that he isn’t an evil monster or person. I hope that next time I can ask him some questions and get to know him more so then I would be less afraid of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment