Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Scout's diary 7

Oct 17, 1937

  Three weeks ago, Jem and I found two carvings in our knot-hole. One of the carvings was a boy and the other a girl, since a dress was worn. They were two wooden dolls symbolizing Jem and I. Jem said that they were really great carvings and wondered who made it. We originally thought it was Mr. Avery but then thinking back Mr. Avery only knows how to make a toothpick. Then we thought that it was Miss Stephanie Crawford’s sweetheart but Jem said that he lives down the country and he wouldn’t care about us. Who could it possibly be? The only answer that popped into my mind was Mr. Arthur Radley. He is the only person who can look at us without us knowing.

   We found a whole package of gum, a tarnished medal and a pocket watch from the knot-hole during the following weeks. Jem and I decided to write a letter to thank the person who gave us these gifts. Jem said that it had to be a guy but I thought it could’ve been Miss Maudie who is always friendly to me. Jem said that Miss Maudie doesn’t like chewing gum and ladies don’t use a pocket watch. We finished that letter as soon as we could and planned to put it into the knot-hole the next day. However, next morning on our way to school Jem ran faster than I did to the knot-hole. I saw him standing straight in front of the tree and holding the letter tightly. I walked up next to him……  Mr. Nathan Radley filled the hole with cement. Why would he do that? It must be because he doesn’t want us to get touch with that nice man any more. Mr. Nathan Radley knows that the kind man is Mr. Arthur Radley (Such an evil old man, Mr. Nathan Radley!).

No comments:

Post a Comment