Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Scout's diary 3

July 25, 1937

  The days after the first day of school were boring and completely unexciting. The only thing that had caught my attention was two pieces of gum placed in the tree hole which stood right in front of the Radley Place. Luckily, I did not become sick or die after chewing the gum, instead to my surprise, they tasted quite good. When Jem knew that I was chewing the gum from the tree hole, he got angry and he made me spit it out.

Summer is coming, which means that Dill will be visiting us again. Today is the last day of the school. I have been looking forward to not have to go to that scary place for a while. As Jem and I walked pass by Radley’s home, I pointed the tree hole where I found the gum. It was then that Jem noticed something shining from the hole. He carefully took it out. It was a tiny package made with chewing-gum wrapper. Inside were two aged pennies with an Indian head on them. Jem said that they must’ve once been important to someone because they are lucky coins. Who did these pennies belong to? And why did he or she put it in the tree hole? Jem and I had many questions but not a single answer. The only thing that we could do is wait for its owner to claim it from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment