Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Scout's diary 2

Sept 9, 1936

Today was the first day of school. I was excited because this was the first time I get to be in a real classroom. My teacher, Miss Caroline Fisher, is a new teacher in our town. She is a young beautiful lady from Winston County in North Alabama. I wanted to be as beautiful as Miss Caroline Fisher in the beginning but now I don’t think I like her any more. She said that I shouldn’t be allowed to read with Atticus because she thinks I am too young to read. I am not too young; I am almost seven years old. Jem said that Miss Caroline Fisher is introducing a new way of teaching but I think she just hates me. What should I do? I really want to read with Atticus. Going to school is the worst thing that has ever happened to me.
  Miss Caroline yelled at me because of Walter Cunningham. I didn’t tell a lie or said anything bad or mean. I was so mad at my teacher. I fought with Walter Cunningham before lunch but Jem stopped the fight. He even asked Walter Cunningham to come with us for lunch. I have no idea why he did that. During lunch, Walter Cunningham did something strange. He put a lot of syrup on his food. I tried stopping him but Atticus and Calpurnia asked me to mind my own business. Calpurnia even shouted at me. I do not know why everyone seemed to be mean at me today. After lunch, we all went back to school. Miss Caroline was scared by cooties on Yessum’s head but I think she deserved the scare.
  It is really a bad day for me but Jem didn’t think so. I told Atticus that I am not going back to school but he didn’t allow it. My first day of school is such a miserable day. The only thing that made me feel better is that Atticus promised me to read with me secretly.

No comments:

Post a Comment